We’re reviewing our Class 4 Gambling Venue and NZ Racing Board Venue Policy 2017 and we want to know what you think. This policy relates to the rules about pokies and TAB venues in our district.
What we’re proposing
We last reviewed our Class 4 Gambling Venue and NZ Racing Board Venue Policy in 2017, so it’s time we looked at it again to ensure it’s still working in the best interests of our communities.
Overall, we think it’s doing the job we wanted it to do so we’re not proposing any major changes.
We want to continue with a sinking lid policy, where no new gaming machines are allowed in our district and any machines that are removed can’t be replaced. This way we’ll slowly reduce the overall numbers of machines over time.
We’ve made some minor tweaks to the policy which include changing its title to be a bit simpler, updating the references to New Zealand Racing Board, and removing some clauses that are out of date.
But we want to know what you think. Does this policy still meet the needs of our communities?
You can read more about our proposal in the consultation documents below.
Read the documents | Pānui ngā tuhinga
Our statement of proposal outlines our proposals (document 2735724), you can read our Social Impact Assessment of Gambling in our district (document 2719784), if you want to know more about how we came up with this proposal and the options considered you can read the Council report (document 2736117) and you can view the entire policy here (document 2730713).
- Statement of proposal (PDF, 994KB)
- Social Impact Assessment of Gambling in our district (PDF, 5MB)
- Council report (PDF, 252KB)
- Draft Gambling Policy 2020 (PDF, 1MB)
How to tell us what you think | He aha ōu whakaaro, korero mai …
Written feedback will be accepted from Friday, 17 July 2020 to 4pm Monday 17 August 2020.
- You can fill in the
Online Submission Form,
- download and print a form to send in to us,
- email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- we’re also on Facebook, or
- you can send feedback via the post to PO Box 17, Paeroa 3640.
Talk to us
- You could call one of your local councillors to have a chat.
- You can also contact us to book in to speak to the Council at a hearing on Wednesday, 9 September 2020.
- We can also draft your feedback into a written statement. Call us on 07 862 8609 or 0800 734 834 (from within the district) and ask for a member of the Strategic Planning Team.