About Our Place | Ngā kaupapa o tā tātou kainga
We’re starting to look long term, into the next 10-30 years, and we asked what’s most important to you. Our Place Tā tātou kainga was designed to get ideas and thoughts to feed into our 2021-31 long term plan and guide the council’s direction and priorities. Our long term plan is being developed and, once finalised, will be effective from 1 July 2021.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts | Ngā manaakitanga mō ōu Koutou whakaaro
Special thanks to Kaiaua School students who won $200 worth of new sports equipment for taking the time to vote on their top priorities.
We considered your feedback (over 500 summarised feedback points!) and confirmed the top priorities we’d like to focus on in our 2021-31 long term plan.
These priorities are what we call ‘community outcomes’ and we couldn’t have done it without you. Community outcomes are future focused statements which are designed to promote community wellbeing now, and in the future. This is what our ideal district looks like:
- Ecosystems are protected, restored and respected.
- We minimise waste.
- Our rivers are healthy and we use water carefully.
- We reduce our carbon footprint to minimise climate change.
- We look after each other.
- We are partners with iwi.
- We collaborate with other local authorities, and central government.
- Youth are engaged and have something to do.
- We’re proud to live here.
Vibrant and safe communities
- Public spaces are fun and inviting.
- Everyone has access to safe and affordable homes.
- Roads and bridges are safe and well-maintained.
- We have a reliable drinking water supply.
- We plan for and adapt to the effects of climate change.
- Local business is supported – we can get what we need locally.
- There is opportunity for paid work and employment.
- We are skilled and educated.
What’s next? | Hei muri
We’re now working on getting our projects, plans and budgets sorted for the next 10 years, based on these community outcomes. We’ll ask for your feedback again, but this time on some more detailed plans that contribute to these community outcomes, in early 2021.
You told us what you think | Kua kōrero mai koe ōu whakaaro, tēnā rawa atu koe
We considered your feedback at a workshop in June and have now adopted some new direction for our planning.
We’ll use your more specific feedback during our long term plans, and check in with you again in early 2021 to make sure we’re still on track. If you want to stay in the loop, be sure to sign up for our e-newsletter.