We’re proposing some changes to our Significance and Engagement Policy and we want to know what you think
What is a Significance and Engagement Policy?
A lot of what we do is already mapped out in documents such as our Long Term Plan, which we prepare, with your input, every three years.
However, sometimes things pop up unexpectedly and we need to come back to you and talk about our plans some more.
This policy is a guide to when we need to do this and how we should go about it.
About our proposed policy
Our current policy says we need to talk with you about any matters of high interest or if we’re making major decisions, such as stopping one of our key services. We think this is still appropriate.
However, we are proposing some changes. In a nutshell, we’re proposing:
- A change to our financial significance trigger. In other words the level of investment in a proposed project that triggers the need for us to talk to you about it. Our trigger used to be projects of $1 million or more but we think projects greater than 20 per cent (approximately $6 million) of capital expenditure or 5 per cent (approximately $1.5 million) of operational expenditure is a better trigger.
- Clarifying the times we won’t ask for your feedback such as when we are acting under the urgency of a crisis.
- Recognising the importance of Māori as tangata whenua and their special relationship with the land and water.
Read the documents | Pānui ngā tuhinga
You can read more about our proposal in the consultation documents below.
How to tell us what you think | He aha ōu whakaaro, korero mai …
Written feedback will be accepted from Friday, 17 July 2020 to 4pm Monday 17 August 2020.
- You can fill in the
Online Submission Form,
- download and print a form to send in to us,
- email your feedback to email@example.com,
- we’re also on Facebook, or
- you can send feedback via the post to PO Box 17, Paeroa 3640.
Talk to us
- You could call one of your local councillors to have a chat.
- You can also contact us to book in to speak to the Council at a hearing on Wednesday, 9 September 2020.
- We can also draft your feedback into a written statement. Call us on 07 862 8609 or 0800 734 834 (from within the district) and ask for a member of the Strategic Planning Team.